Healthy Dog Insider

Every year, hundreds of thousands of dogs suffer from some form of poisoning—and the culprits in the vast majority of cases are common household and garden products. Drugs such as cold and flu preparations, painkillers, and antidepressants; insecticides and rodent bait; plants like sago palms and azaleas; cleaning agents like bleach, detergent, and disinfectant; and outdoor toxins like antifreeze and fertilizers. Always keep such hazards in locked cabinets or on high shelves, well out of reach of your dog. Also be aware that not all symptoms of poisoning occur shortly after ingestion; some can take 18 to 36 hours to appear.


What to Look Out for

Salivation, vomiting or diarrhea, uncoordinated gait, seizures, muscle twitching, weakness, nose bleeds, rectal bleeding, and excessive thirst. If your dog has ingested poison, bring a sample of the material with you to the vet if you can. To learn more, visit



Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *